Landlord & Tenant Issues

Rights & Responsibilities 
Both landlords and tenants have specific rights and responsibilities with regards to rental property. They are detailed in Montana's "Residential Landlord and Tenant Act" of the Montana Statutes and can be accessed online.

The State of Montana web site provides information relating to a variety of landlord-tenant issues. Visit the Montana Office of Consumer Protection website.

Montana Public Interest Research Group
MontPRIG (Montana Public Interest Research Group) is an excellent resource for landlord and tenants. Specific questions can be directed to them by phone at (406) 243-2907 or 1-888-345-7474. Visit their website.

A complaint can be filed in Justice Court to initiate the legal eviction of a tenant. Before doing so, however, the landlord must serve the tenant with a "Notice to Vacate", a copy of which will need to be attached to the complaint when it is filed with the Court.