Marriage Licenses

Legal Requirements 
The cost for issuing a marriage license is $53.00 payable in cash. Please note that we will not accept a personal check. Due to the length of time it takes to issue a marriage license, you should plan on arriving in our office no later than 4:30 p.m. Both parties must be present with a valid photo ID and be at least 18 years of age. All female applicants, if under the age of 50, must provide proof of a Rubella blood test or a doctor's statement regarding sterilization.

The applicants may choose to read and sign an Informed Consent / Waiver which waives the requirement for the medical certification of blood testing for rubella immunity. This form may be obtained from the Clerk of District Court in any county in the State of Montana.

Montana Residents may obtain a marriage license in any Montana county and get married in any Montana county. Non Residents must obtain their license in the county in which they intend to marry.

Information Needed For Marriage License
The applicants need:
  • $53.00 Cash (no checks)
  • Identification indicating proof of age (i.e.: valid driver's license, picture I.D., certified copy of Birth Certificate or Passport). Any other form of I.D. would require approval from this office
  • Birth city, county, state or foreign country of applicants
  • Social Security Number
  • Father's first, middle and last name; along with current city and state residence
  • Mother's first, middle and maiden name; along with current city and state of residence
  • State or foreign country where parents were born
  • "If applicable" ...must know the dates of applicant's previous marriage, dissolution or spousal death and the county/state of occurrence
  • Must be at least 18 years of age or older
Marriage Licenses are valid for 180 days from the date of issuance to the date of ceremony. 

Requirements For Applicants Under 18 Years of Age
  • Parental Consent- Parent or legal guardian must sign the Marriage Application.
  • Counseling- Proof of two counseling sessions, ten days apart, with a court approved counselor.
  • Judicial Approval- A District Court Judge must approve and sign the Marriage Application. A Judge may require a conference with applicants and guardian(s).