The cost for issuing a marriage license is $53.00 and payable in cash or credit/debit card. Please note that we will not accept a personal check.
Due to the length of time it takes to issue a marriage license, please arrive in our office no later than 4:00 p.m. Both parties must be present with a valid photo ID and be at least 18 years of age.
Marriage license applicants may obtain a marriage license in any Montana county and marry in any Montana county.
Information Needed For Marriage License
The applicants need:
- $53.00 Cash, Credit card, or Debit card (no checks)
- Identification indicating proof of age (i.e.: valid driver's license, picture I.D., certified copy of Birth Certificate or Passport). Any other form of I.D. would require approval from this office
- Birth city, county, state or foreign country of applicants
- Social Security Number
- Father's first, middle and last name; along with current city and state residence
- Mother's first, middle and maiden name; along with current city and state of residence
- State or foreign country where parents were born
- "If applicable" ...must know the dates of applicant's previous marriage, dissolution or spousal death and the county/state of occurrence
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older
Requirements For Applicants Under 18 Years of Age
- Parental Consent- Parent or legal guardian must sign the Marriage Application.
- Counseling- Proof of two counseling sessions, ten days apart, with a court approved counselor.
- Judicial Approval- A District Court Judge must approve and sign the Marriage Application. A Judge may require a conference with applicants and guardian(s).