Clerk of District Court
Corona Virus Notice
Please see the Administrative Order RE Public Health EmergencyCovid-19
EFFECTIVE MARCH 25, 2020
UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
In order to serve you in the safest possible manner, the Clerk of District Court office shall be operating under these new guidelines.
1. This office IS open for business but closed to walk-in traffic.
2. Marriage Licenses will be issued “By Appointment Only”, respecting strict office procedures. Call 375-6710 for an appointment.
3. We will be Suspending Passport Issuance until further notice.
4. All attorney filings shall be submitted via email or fax. No runners.
5. Certified copies may be requested via email and mailed to you.
6. Pro Se filings will be accepted via US Mail. Filings will be processed when fees or a notarized Affidavit of Indigence are submitted.
7. An area will be designated next to the front door for filings submitted in person. Once those documents are processed we will email a conformed copy to the filer. You MUST include your email address or a Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope to receive a conformed copy.
8. All child support, court fines/fees, and other court related payments shall be paid by debit/credit card, a cashier’s check, or money order. No Cash Payments Please!
9. Neither Parties nor Counsel will be allowed to congregate in our office while waiting for court orders after L&M. Those documents shall be emailed, mailed, or in an emergency only, provided to you in the main rotunda.
For questions regarding the above procedures, please call (406) 375-6710 or email your question to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Clerk of District Court
Clerk of Courts Responsibilities
The Office of the Clerk of Court is responsible to
- Receive, file and maintain criminal, civil, domestic, juvenile, probate, guardianship, dependent / neglected youths, mentally ill, paternity and adoption cases. Establish and maintain court calendars of trials and hearings
- Attend and record court proceedings, administer oaths to witnesses, take court minutes and act as custodian of exhibits
- Enter Orders, Judgments and Decrees in Judgment Docket - Prepare and transmit files to the Supreme Court, Sentence Review and Guest Judges as required
- Receive, receipt and transmit child support payments and court fines and fees
- Issue Summons, Executions and Subpoenas. Issue marriage licenses
- Impanel and issue annual summons to prospective jurors selected from a list of registered voters and licensed drivers randomly drawn as provided by the Secretary of State
- Draw, process and notify prospective jurors for individual trials
- Keep jurors informed of the status of the pending cases and issue checks for their services
- Process and forward passport applications to the Passport Agency
- Maintain absolute integrity in working with confidential information
- Search records and make copies upon written request and pre-payment of search and copy fees. We are unable to conduct searches by telephone request
The Clerk of District Court office is here to assist you with court filing procedures. State statutes 3-1-601 MCA and 7-4-2210 MCA prohibit this office from giving legal advice or preparing legal documents. Notary Public services are not available in this office. While we do have Dissolution of Marriage and Parenting Plan packets available in the Clerk of District Court office, you can visit the Montana Law Library to find other useful forms.
The mission of the Ravalli County Clerk of District Court office is to function as a team that remains dedicated to our customers and clients. Our goal is to maintain accurate records and to provide the most up to date procedural information through competent, professional, and courteous service. We continually strive to remain in compliance with all laws, rules, and regulations.