Clerk of District Court
Clerk of Courts Responsibilities
The Office of the Clerk of Court is responsible to
- Receive, file and maintain criminal, civil, domestic, juvenile, probate, guardianship, dependent / neglected youths, mentally ill, paternity and adoption cases. Establish and maintain court calendars of trials and hearings
- Attend and record court proceedings, administer oaths to witnesses, take court minutes and act as custodian of exhibits
- Enter Orders, Judgments and Decrees in Judgment Docket - Prepare and transmit files to the Supreme Court, Sentence Review and Guest Judges as required
- Receive, receipt and transmit child support payments and court fines and fees
- Issue Summons, Executions and Subpoenas. Issue marriage licenses
- Impanel and issue annual summons to prospective jurors selected from a list of registered voters and licensed drivers randomly drawn as provided by the Secretary of State
- Draw, process and notify prospective jurors for individual trials
- Keep jurors informed of the status of the pending cases and issue checks for their services
- Process and forward passport applications to the Passport Agency
- Maintain absolute integrity in working with confidential information
- Search records and make copies upon written request and pre-payment of search and copy fees. We are unable to conduct searches by telephone request
The Clerk of District Court office is here to assist you with court filing procedures. State statutes MCA 3-1-601 and 7-4-2210 prohibit this office from giving legal advice or preparing legal documents. Notary Public services are not available in this office. While we do have Dissolution of Marriage and Parenting Plan packets available in the Clerk of District Court office, you can visit the Montana Law Library to find other useful forms.
The mission of the Ravalli County Clerk of District Court office is to function as a team that remains dedicated to our customers and clients. Our goal is to maintain accurate records and to provide the most up to date procedural information through competence, professionalism, and courteous service. We continually strive to remain in compliance with laws, rules, and regulations.