Environmental Health

Environmental Health Announcements

  • Open & Prescribed Burn Season Begins March 1 2018

    Burning is open from March 1 2018 through August 31 2018. September 1 through November 30 is an air-ventilation period, you may call 800-225-6779 daily during this time to check for possible closure of burning or inversions. Burn permits are required for all open burning. Burn Permit Information and Burn Permit Procedures are available on this website under Burning Permits. Click on Stay Informed - click on Burn Permit in the green section on the left side of the page. You must activate your permit prior to  any burning throughout the season. For additional burn information please see articles in the Environmental Health Talk section in the green box to the left.  

    Open burning may be restricted during HIGH fire danger.

    If you have questions about prescribed burns by the Bitterroot National Forest, please contact your local ranger stations for more specific information or to be included on their burn notification lists.

           West Fork Ranger Station (406) 821-3269                   

            Sula Ranger Station (406) 821-3201

            Darby Ranger Station (406) 821-3913                          

           Stevensville Ranger Station (406) 777-5461  


You must obtain a septic permit prior to any construction

Ground Water Monitoring applications are now being accepted, application deadline is March 30, 2018.  You can find the application in Useful Forms.        



     Well Permits are no longer required in Ravalli County
             No regulatory setbacks have been changed

Department Mission

Protecting public health and the environment through adequate protection of surface and ground waters, monitoring and protection of air quality, food and consumer safety and education. Services:
  • Issuing wastewater (sewage) treatment and disposal permit
  • Conducting site evaluations for onsite sewage disposal permits
  • Licensing and Inspecting food service establishments, campgrounds and trailer courts, motels, schools, pools, and other public accommodations
  • Administering the public drinking water program
  • Monitoring air quality and open burning information (Hotline: 1-800-225-6779)
  • Administering the junk vehicle program
  • Disseminating radon information and sale of radon test kits
  • Review of  subdivisions through Montana Department of Environmental Quality
  • Investigating complaints under the food and consumer safety, air and water quality, wastewater (sewage) treatment and disposal, solid and hazardous waste disposal, junk vehicle, and other environmental health regulations