Concealed Weapon Permits
Important Application Processing notes: * It can take up 8 weeks to process your (New or Renewal) application depending on the volume of applications, so please turn it in a minimum of 2 months before it expires but no more than 3 months.
* You must turn in your completed application in person to the Sheriff's Office. Please do not mail your application in.
* The fees associated with the processing of your application will not be refunded even if your application is denied.
* New, renewal and transfer applications can be picked up at the Sheriff's Receptionist window, Monday-Friday from
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Submitting Your Application
Applications for a Concealed Weapon permit (CCW), must be submitted in person by the person making the application. Applications are turned into Ravalli County Sheriff's Office located on the main floor of the Ravalli County Courthouse. The fingerprint card will be included in the CCW application packet if picked up in person, if you print the packet from our website, the fingerprint card will be issued to you when you come in to do your fingerprints. You must show a completed CCW application to the person that is fingerprinting you, otherwise you will be charged a fee for each fingerprint card. Fingerprinting takes place in the Detention Center on Wednesdays only between 12 p.m. and 2 p.m.
We offer our Concealed Weapons’ Applications online. To access and print, click on one of the links listed below.
- A new CCW permit requires: a completed application, a Current Montana driver’s license , Cash, or a check in the amount of $65.00, non-refundable, made payable to Ravalli County Treasurer’s Office, a firearm safety certificate or Military DD-214 and fingerprint cards.
- A renewal CCW permit requires: a completed renewal application, driver’s license, a check for $35.00, non-refundable, made payable to Ravalli County Treasurer’s Office, and a current Ravalli County CCW permit. If the current CCW permit is even one (1) day over the expiration, the entire process must be started over as if applying for a new permit.
- If you are renewing anything other than a Ravalli County CCW, In State or from a state that Montana recognizes, and your permit is not expired, you will pay the renewal fee of $35.00 but you MUST complete the New Application, and fingerprints because your permit is New to Ravalli County.
- Please submit your renewal at least 30 days in advance but no more than 90 days.
Transfers from other Montana cities or towns, need a completed transfer form, a copy of their unexpired Montana CCW permit, and a copy of their Montana driver’s license. You must renew your Transferred CCW permit prior to your expiration date on your other Montana County Permit.
Ravalli County Sheriff's Office only recognizes and issues four year permits.
We do not accept Transferals from other states, you must go through the application process.
Status After Filing
The Sheriff’s Office will call you when your CCW permit is ready and you will be asked to make an appointment to pick it up.
For information on the status of your CCW application and the issuance of a permit, please contact Renee Scribner at 406-375-4054.